Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Red Braised Bean Curd Sticks

I made an unofficial version of a "red braised" thing, as I lacked star anise and a cinnamon stick, but I made up for it with a pinch of 5-spice-powder (I think)


Anyway, here's my first time cooking Dried Bean Curd Sticks!
They look rather tasty inside their package and smell like fish food when you open the package, but I just needed to know what they would be liked when prepared;
luckily, I was not disappointed!


- Half a package of dried bean curd sticks
- 2 tbsp oil

- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce

- 1" piece fresh ginger, rough sliced
- ¼ teaspoon of 5 spice powder
- ½ red spanish pepper (chopped)
- water (hot)

- salt, and sugar to taste
- 1 scallion, minced

First rehydrate the dried bean curd sticks as instructed on the package. 
Then drain the bean curd sticks and cut them into 1 bite size pieces
(throw away any parts that did not soften)

Heat the oil in wok, add sugar, stir and caramelize until brown. 


Add the bean curd pieces, the wine or sherry , the dark and light soy sauce, ginger, red pepper, 5-spice-powder, and water about halfway up the bean curd. 


Bring to a boil, then braise for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, reducing the liquid to a slightly viscous sauce. 


Add salt and sugar to taste.


Top with minced scallions and serve with rice and green veggies
(for example, with white rice and broccoli…picture sadly not included)

I really liked them,
even after all the rehydrating and cooking, they were nice and chewy!
(in a pleasant way)

if you've never prepared dried bean curd sticks, I recommend you try them at least once so you know what they're like.


yum ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment